Asparagus are one of the first – and tastiest – signs of spring and when they come into season I just can’t get enough. Asparagus soup is completely underrated, but it’s a real treat. Smooth, creamy, yet miraculously dairy free, this asparagus soup is topped with crunchy garlic croutons for a delightfully simple and seasonal meal.
My mom used to make asparagus soup on occasion, but it wasn’t until I was an adult and cooking on my own that I stumbled across it and was receptive to its delicious nature. What I love about this soup is how creamy it is, but there’s absolutely no cream. In fact, the soup is completely vegan.
Seasonal asparagus is an absolute must. If you can find it at a farmer’s market, I highly recommend you buy it there. It’s just so rich and full of springy green flavor. I could wax poetic about asparagus all day long – I think it might be my favorite vegetable! If you haven’t tried it in soup form yet, use this year’s bounty to give it a try and you will discover a whole new way to love it!
This recipe is simple, and can be on the table in a mere 20-30 minutes. I highly recommend you top it with these perfect garlic croutons, a recipe from my mom that always wins her raves. The added crunch adds a nice dimension to the asparagus soup.
If you love asparagus too, make sure and check out my recipe for cauliflower gnocchi with asparagus and bacon garlic cream sauce, or my simple asparagus with green garlic and pea shoots.
This page contains some links which are affiliate links. I only link to and recommend products that I use and love myself. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but I do earn a small commission. If you click on the link, you consent to placing a cookie on your browser for purposes of tracking commissions.Print
Simple, and bursting with flavor from the bounty of spring asparagus, this soup is a seasonal dream!
- 2 1/4 lb of fresh asparagus, woody bottoms trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 8–10 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the croutons:
- Half a french baguette sliced and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- Good extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder (about a teaspoon)
- Make the croutons by tossing the bread in a few glugs of olive oil, a few sprinkles of salt and the garlic powder and coat evenly with all three. Bake at 350 degrees on a baking sheet, checking religiously and shaking the pan occasionally, until golden brown
- Heat the olive oil for the soup in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute 2-3 minutes until soft
- Add the asparagus, a few pinches of kosher salt, basil and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the asparagus is soft, about 15-20 minutes
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth (alternatively, you may use a regular blender, just make sure to safely vent the steam as you blend)
- Top soup with croutons and any other garnish of your choice and enjoy!
Keywords: spring, asparagus, asparagus soup