These bratwurst with braised cabbage make a perfect one pot meal. Super flavorful, quick to get on the table, with very little babysitting required, they are a bit of a miracle!
Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I totally wrote off as a kid. My parents never even tried to force us to eat it and I just assumed I would hate it. So imagine my surprise as an adult to learn that cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables. It started with cole slaw. Mayonnaise has been the trojan horse for many such culinary discoveries, and cabbage was no different. Then, it was Chinese chicken salads and egg roll in a bowl. Soon, I was seeking out cabbage everywhere.
I knew I needed to marry my German roots with my love of cabbage. It was long overdue, in fact. So, I spent a bit of time researching bratwurst with braised cabbage recipes, tinkered with it a bit, and have come up with a real winner.
I’m not normally one who seeks out a one pot meal, I kinda just let them happen where it makes sense, and this one is a winner in that regard. After searing the bratwurst in the pan, I added the onions so they could cook in all the tasty drippings. Then, I deglazed the pan with some apple cider vinegar to give it punch, added some chicken stock for balance, and let the sausages simmer away. After a few minutes I added the cabbage and let it braise down and voila. That was it. So simple, so flavorful, and a real hit with friends at dinner that night!
There are no secrets here. No fancy tricks. Just simple, old fashioned cooking, and I kinda love that. This dish pairs well with a beer (what good German meal doesn’t?!), but you are free to pair with beverages as you see fit! Scale it up to make sure you have enough leftovers because it reheats super well for lunch and is mighty tasty the next day, too!
If you’re a fan of cabbage like I am, you should also check out my Szechuan Style Cabbage.
A simple, one pot meal, this bratwurst with braised cabbage is a weeknight favorite, and makes for delicious leftovers, too!
- 6-8 bratwursts
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado or light olive oil
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Half a head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Stone ground mustard for serving
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat, adding oil to the pan once hot. Sear the bratwurst on all sides until browned (they don’t have to cook through). Remove and set aside on a plate
- In the same pan, saute the onions until starting to soften, about 4 minutes
- Deglaze the pan by adding the apple cider vinegar, making sure to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan
- Add the chicken stock then add the bratwursts and any juices that have collected on the plate back to the pan
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the sliced cabbage to the pan, stirring as able to evenly distribute. Cover and let wilt down, stirring periodically, while the cabbage braises for 20 minutes
- Taste for seasoning and add as needed
- Pairs deliciously with rice, potatoes, cauliflower rice, or any other side of your choosing!
Keywords: bratwurst, braised bratwurst, cabbage, german food