I’m always looking for easy breakfasts that I can meal prep and that hold up well throughout the week. This breakfast hash with kale and bacon fits that bill perfectly. Tasty as is, and even tastier with a runny egg on top!
I’m guilty of sometimes downplaying breakfast. Grabbing something quick and small, thinking I’ll be fine until lunch. It’s a combination of laziness, busyness and not being terribly hungry first thing in the morning. But then, I’m starving by lunch. Go figure. So, I’ve been looking to bulk up my breakfast game, and adding some greens while I’m at it feels like a no brainer.
No matter what anyone tells you, eggs just don’t reheat well. If I can’t eat an egg right after it’s freshly cooked, then I don’t want it (deviled eggs being the exception). That makes breakfast on the go difficult. And let’s not pretend that waking up 15 minutes earlier so that I can cook and eat eggs at home is gonna happen. See aforementioned laziness (aka love of sleep) and lack of hunger. So, I needed something egg free that would meal prep well and hold up on the road and to a reheating. Enter this, and many other, delicious breakfast hashes.
By its very nature, breakfast hash is customizable. You just need some kind of potato…and then pretty much anything else you want. Typically, I think some kind of meat or protein addition, a green, an onion, and spices round things out, but you can have your way with things. I chose the russet potato here for how well it crisps. Bacon because well duh, bacon, and lacinato or dinosaur kale because it’s a green I’m fond of. Feel free to swap any of these. Some tasty ideas are chorizo, chicken sausage, Italian sausage, collard greens, chard, spinach or shaved brussels sprouts.
While this breakfast is delicious egg free, it’s also delicious topped with a runny egg. Save that for mornings when you have extra time. Having the hash already prepped will make a hearty breakfast like this come together in no time. Poached are fried eggs are best here, in my opinion!
Breakfast skillets and hashes are synonymous with cast iron skillets for me. These sturdy kitchen workhorses crisp up the best bacon and perfect potatoes. If you somehow don’t have one, I highly recommend getting one. They aren’t expensive, and this Lodge version is practically perfect in every way, as it comes pre-seasoned.
This page contains some links which are affiliate links. I only link to and recommend products that I use and love myself. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but I do earn a small commission. If you click on the link, you consent to placing a cookie on your browser for purposes of tracking commissions.Print
A super simple but flavorful breakfast hash with kale and bacon makes for a perfect breakfast – and reheats like a champ for a meal prep miracle!
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bunch kale, thick center stalks removed and chopped into thin ribbons
- 2 large russet potatoes, diced into 3/8 inch chunks
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until done and slightly crispy. Remove bacon from heat and place on a paper towel lined plate. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the pan
- In the same pan over medium high heat, cook the onion in the remaining bacon fat for a few minutes until translucent
- Add in the potatoes and cook until soft and starting to crisp, tossing occasionally, about 1o-12 minutes
- Add the spices and toss to coat potatoes evenly
- Add the kale to the pan and wilt down until soft, about 3 minutes
- Add back the bacon and heat through
- Eat and serve with a fried egg on top, or however you like!
Keywords: hash, breakfast, breakfast hash, kale, bacon, meal prep