Ooey, gooey, melty goodness, this homemade queso delivers the goods, y’all!
- 3 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded, deveined and chopped into quarter inch pieces
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained of extra liquid (diced more finely if you like)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons flour (can use gluten free, I like this brand)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional, or more to taste)
- Cook the poblanos, sautéing them in a little bit of butter over high heat, letting them cook down and char a bit (alternatively, fire up a grill and grill them whole until they char then chop them up!)
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine, cooking for 1 minute to reduce the raw taste
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent clumps from forming. Bring mixture up to a very light simmer, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes
- Add in the cheese, stirring to incorporate as it melts
- Stir in the poblanos, tomatoes and cayenne
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Keywords: queso, homemade queso, cinco de mayo recipes