Root vegetable season is here, y’all! I love me some roasted root vegetables, and here I’ve taken them to the next level with this honey glazed roast carrots and parsnips recipe. The glaze is perfectly balanced with honey for sweet, red pepper flakes for heat, and apple cider vinegar for a refreshing pop. They were a hit at Thanksgiving this year and will be gracing my table all season long!
Root vegetables are lovely for so many reasons. They keep well in the fridge for ages, a blessing since I’m known to sometimes forget to check the reaches of my veggie crisper drawer with the utmost regularity. There are numerous types, each with their own delicious flavor profile, and they absolutely transform into the tastiest versions of themselves in a hot oven with just a touch of olive oil. What’s not to love?
Knowing that root vegetables can tend to the sweet side, I wanted to lean into this by tossing them in a honey glaze once cooked, but I wanted this glaze to be balanced and not overwhelmingly sweet. Enter: red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar. Oh, and butter. Because butter. Or ghee. You do you!
If you’re on a whole30, these would honestly be delicious without the honey. The veggies are sweet on their own and the ghee, pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar would still be a tasty coating. You could even add a touch of dijon to transform them even more.
I made my dish with parnips and carrots, but you could add any root veggies to the mix. Celery root, beets, turnips – all would be wonderful here. Just make sure to cut your veggies into similarly sized pieces so they cook evenly in the oven. And, if you love parsnips as much as I do, make sure and try my recipe for parsnip puree!
This page contains some links which are affiliate links. I only link to and recommend products that I use and love myself. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but I do earn a small commission. If you click on the link, you consent to placing a cookie on your browser for purposes of tracking commissions.Print
So simple, and perfectly balanced with honey, vinegar, and a pinch of pepper flakes, this honey glazed roast carrots and parsnips dish is on my table all season long!
- 4-5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3-4 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- Scant tablespoon of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Pinch or two of red pepper flakes (about a 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon, depending on your preference for heat)
- Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425. Toss the carrot and parsnip pieces on a baking sheet in the olive oil and some salt and pepper
- Roast for 35-45 minutes, tossing half way through, until veggies are soft and caramelized
- Meanwhile, heat the butter, honey, vinegar and pepper flakes in a small pan over medium heat on the stove until slightly thickened – about 3 minutes
- When carrots and parsnips have cooked, remove from oven, and drizzle with the honey glaze, tossing veggies to coat them evenly. Sprinkle with fresh parsley to garnish and enjoy!
My parsnips were larger than my carrots, so I needed fewer of them to have a 50-50 mix. Adjust accordingly depending on the size of your parsnips and carrots!
Keywords: honey glazed, roasted vegetables, carrots, parsnips, roasted carrots