These mashed sweet potatoes with cumin and chili will make you think about sweet potatoes in a whole new way. Savory sweet in the exact right way, smoky and well-seasoned with the cumin and chili powder, they make the perfect side dish and are easy to throw together!
I came up with the recipe for these when I was trying to come up with a replacement for refried beans in a tostada recipe. I wanted something creamy and similar in consistency, but I didn’t want to sacrifice on the depth of flavor. Seemingly out of nowhere, this idea for mashed sweet potatoes with cumin and chili came to me, and as my friends who joined me for that meal can attest, it was a hit!
These mashed sweet potatoes go perfectly in my breakfast tostadas recipe (which you should absolutely make for brunch this weekend, duh), but they are so much more versatile than that. They make a tasty side dish for any meal. They pair well with any protein (I hear tell recently that they are delicious with rack of lamb), reheat easily if you have leftovers, and offer something just a little unexpected. Oh, and they are a welcome change from cauliflower rice, so there’s that.
Given how easy these are, I love to whip up a batch for the week ahead, but you can get them on the table on even the craziest of weeknights without even a hint of stress. Bless recipes like this. And, if you are looking for a savory twist to your Thanksgiving sweet potato dish, these come highly recommended!
Simple, savory sweet, and perfect for fall, these mashed sweet potatoes take on a tasty Mexican flair!
- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400
- Scrub and clean the potatoes, and cover a large baking sheet with foil
- Peirce each sweet potatoes all over with a knife or fork
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the ghee and brush evenly onto the potatoes
- Bake potatoes for 50 minutes at 400 or until super tender inside
- Peel potatoes once cool enough to touch. Add the soft sweet potato to a bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons ghee/butter and the salt, cumin and chili powder. Using a hand mixer or masher, mash until smooth
Keywords: sweet potatoes, mexican food, mashed sweet potatoes, cumin