These refried black beans are super simple to make in your Instant Pot, and are packed full of delicious, authentic flavor.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon lard (I like Epic Provisions)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ to 1 jalapeño seeded and diced, deveined and finely diced (depending on heat level you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 cups water
- In the Instant Pot, use the sauté function to heat the tablespoon of lard (if you don’t have an Instant Pot, see note for alternate cooking instructions)
- Sauté the onion and jalapeño for a few minutes until soft
- Add in the beans, water and 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Turn off the sauté function, put on the lid and place the vent to sealing mode. Cook the beans under high pressure for 35 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes
- Test the beans for doneness (taste and see if the texture is to your liking). They should be done, but if they need to go longer, cook them for a few more minutes at high pressure
- Strain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid
- Add the beans and half the cooking liquid to a food processor (you may have to work in batches depending on your food processor’s capacity). Pulse until beans are relatively smooth, adding more of the cooking liquid as needed to make for a pourable but thick bean consistency
- Heat the remaining lard in a large pan over medium heat. Add the beans and cook for about 30 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the pan periodically to incorporate the flavorful bits that form there. Adjust heat as needed to control any splattering
- Garnish with jalapeños, cotija cheese, radish slices, fresh cilantro, or other garnish of your choosing
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook the beans on the stovetop. If you haven’t soaked the beans, this could take a while. If you soak the beans overnight it will be quicker.
Stovetop method:add beans, salt, water, onion and jalapeño to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are very soft, about 1.5 hours. Then follow the recipe starting in step 6.
Keywords: refried beans, black beans, refried black beans, mexican cuisine, side dish